Our Brave Band of Adventurers:
- Charisma, a “human” -mutant- sorceress whose power source is Gamma Radiation which she was exposed to as a child. As a child of the Atom her hair goes green in the presence of radiation and she progressively gets greener the more powerful spells she casts (and as she gets angry). She has no love for the Technic League.
- Heidt, a ranger who has traded an affinity for nature for an affinity for machines. This android has mastered cybertheurgy as well as the lasgun. Has chosen the mechromancer archetype (blog post at some later point!). Seeking to learn more about his history he has become an archaeological expert on all things related to the Rain of Stars.
- Rikku, an elven rogue who was adopted by Khonnir Baine when he found her wandering the wasteland near Torch more than a decade ago. She claims to be a blood elf from a far-away land. Her history is tied up with a nearby ruin.
- Sylvanus, a dark elf monk who escaped the clutches of mind flayer slavemasters in the area of the Scar of the Spider after a daring raid by surface dwelling heroes freed her.
- Brokthor, a human fighter who was raised by dwarfs and thinks he IS a dwarf.
- Tufast, a human cleric who serves the unpredictable goddess of thunder and lightning Dorana. Much like his barbarian family he hates technology and has a particular spite for robots. He sees the cleansing power of Dorana as the perfect antidote to the curse of the robot infestation of Nimmeria.
Lords of Rust
By Rikku Yuffina Kyrus
After we all happily split the loot, a messenger says Dolga and Jorum wants to see us right away. We make our way to Jorum. Jorum happily greets us and asks a request. An old friend of his named Dinvaya used to live in Torch. She moved to Scrapwall in fear of some Technic League members who wanted to harm her. Now these members are dead and he wants us to find and tell her it is safe to come back. In return he will give us a magical staff. We accept and go to Dolga. Dolga appreciates that we are pursuing the root cause of the Torch incident and offers us 8,000 gold; if we stop who or what ever instigated the attack. We thank her and try to find a boat going to Hajoth Hakados. But Dad (Khonnir) takes us aside to chat. He thanks us again for saving him. He carefully tells us that he used to be a Technic League research grunt. But he quit (ran away) because the organization is evil. They were going to behead him so he warns us not to underestimate the Technic League. We say good-bye, find a boat going to Hajoth Hakados, and set sail. The trip is a joyful and uneventful one.
In Hajoth Hakados we find a ship going to Aldegrard’s Grave, a fort close to Scrawall. This place is said to be haunted, but we are not afraid. The captain, called Nick hires us as muscle. We set sail in a few days. Around 5 days into our sea voyage an Asian man in a pedal boat introduces himself as Arley the Weaver.
He is a merchant from Zipang and has come here to trade for technological items. He went to Starfall already, but was treated poorly. He sets up his goods-which he got from Cathay or made himself. There are a lot if magic items so we buy or trade for most of them.
I get a pair of boots of speed and a Japanese dagger, Heidt gets a bag of holding, Tufast gets a shield and a magic lightning maul, Brocktha gets a set of resistance from bludgeoning amour and a belt of oni strength, Sylvanus gets a cap of comprehend languages, and Charisma passes (DM’s noted – insider trading!). We thank him as he peddles away. The sky clouds and a storm hits near dusk. We anchor and take turns on boring and rough watches. Near dawn I hear fighting, wake the others and go to the main deck. Sylvanus and Brocktha are fighting 2 wet, moldy, and stinky water trolls. The rest of us join in. The crew wakes up and hoists the sail. Brocktha continually knocks off one of the trolls into the turbulent river and Heidt shoots the other in the face. Tufast casts a wind spell on the sail. We speed away from the knocked off troll. We loose one of the trolls and kill the other. The rest of the night is peaceful. In the morning I sprint around the ship, Tufast feels more powerful, Sylvanus understands all languages but feels unusually clumsy. But most of all Brocktha has turned into a small Asian woman. Knowing about these misfortunes we check the bag of holding and it seems ok. We test Brocktha’s amour and it seems like he is vulnerable to slashing and piercing damage. Other than these horrible and shocking curses, the rest of the trip is relaxing.
As we get close to Aldegrard we can tell something is wrong; smoke is rising from the chapel and stables area. The captain drops us off, wishes us a safe journey, and departs. As we walk towards the fort, 2 guards pacing back and forth on the wall spot us. They say with a weird lisp in their voice that this place has an unusual plague that magic can’t heal. We say that we have tech items for healing and they lift the portcullis. But as soon as we are in, the portcullis slams down, almost separating us. Inside are 3 gunmen and a man with an axe for a hand. They attack us. As soon as I enter combat I start dancing and when I am hit I become angry and my dagger glows blood red. Tufasts shield attracts bullets and when he is hit he flies into a rage, seeing everyone as his enemy. We kill every gunman and capture Axe hands their leader.
That is a lot of cursed magic items! Dang, that is rough.
I am an old school DM. I punish stupidity instead of rewarding success 😉
If something looks too good to be true, it is! Life lessons.
You must log in to post a comment.