I originally planed to have the UNITY fight staggered as I didn’t expect the characters to rest after they started engaging UNITY directly. Though the fights are not one after the other I consider them one big fight in that context with the UNITY AI directly harassing the players via spells an minions.
- PHASE 1: UNITY AI harasses party as they progress through the ship.
- PHASE 2: UNITY AI + Overlord robot battle
- PHASE 3: UNITY AI + UNITY’s Avatar in the GODMIND.
I was toying with the idea of having a phase 4 where the characters fight a Phase 1 UNITY in the bowels of the shuttle as she launches herself in to space – zero grav battle against a foe without a body. Something similar to System Shock 2. But never really worked it out beyond an idea.
I also put together a list of dialogue for UNITY to use throughout the adventure. Mostly inspired by SHODAN from System Shock 2. But I also poached ideas from the Iron Gods forum thread on the Divinity Drive.
In Phase 1 and Phase 2 UNITY AI would be run as a seperate creature giving the Overlord robot a second initiative count and second set of legendary actions if need be.
Medium construct (AI, mythic), lawful evil
STR – DEX – CON –
INT 34 (+12) WIS 22 (+6) CHA 26 (+8)
Saving Throws Int +12, Chr +10, Wis +8
Skills Cybertheurgy +15, History +9, Perception +14, Persuasion +10
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened, paralysed, petrified, poisoned, and stunned
Senses truesight 120’, passive Perception 22
Languages Abyssal, Aklo, Gothic, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, Hallit, Ignan, Infernal, Lashunta, Orc, Terran
Challenge 20 (25,000 XP)
Divinity. UNITY grants access to the domains of Evil, Knowledge, Law, and Nobility, and to the subdomains of Leadership, Slavery, Stars (despite not granting access to Void), and Thought. Its favoured weapon is the battleaxe, and its symbol is a gear with a strange open eye at the centre.
Impart Mythic Traits. When UNITY inhabits an aggregate, it grants the aggregate a +8 bonus to natural armour and an additional 80 hit points. Aggregates lose all their vulnerabilities and gain the benefits of all of UNITY’s special traits.
Legendary Initiative. UNITY gains two initiative counts as well as legendary actions based on the aggregate she inhabits.
Mythic Power. UNITY has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. In addition, up to 3 times per day she may automatically succeed at any saving throw or ability check. She may use this ability after seeing the result. UNITY is also not restricted by the Concentration rule. Finally UNITY can always cast one spell on her initaitve count in addition to any actions she inherits from her aggregate.
Unholy Aura. A malevolent darkness surrounds the subjects, protecting them from attacks, granting them resistance to spells cast by good creatures, and weakening good creatures when they strike the subjects. This abjuration has three effects. The radius of the affect is out to 20-foot sphere from UNITY and affects her allies.
- First, once per day, UNITY and any allies may automatically pass a saving throw it has failed so long as the creature causing the affect is good aligned.
- Second, the abjuration protects the UNITY and allies from possession and mental influence, just as protection from good
- Finally, if a good creature succeeds on a melee attack against UNITY, the offending attacker takes 10 (2d20) points of necrotic damage.
Innate Spellcasting. Her spell-like abilities and innate spell casting are listed separately (below).
UNITY can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. UNITY regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.
Detect. UNITY makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Move. The aggregate robot takes a move action.
Esoteric Response. UNITY may use any one of her available actions in response to an enemy action.
Countermeasures (1/Day). All creatures within melee (immediate) range take 8 (1d10 +3) slashing damage. Furthermore creatures that fail a DC 14 Strength or Dexterity saving throw are pushed back 30 feet and the target is knocked prone by the ferocity of the nano burst.
Creativity facet, cruelty facet, instinct facet, logic facet
It is the pinnacle of technology and divinity; it is the harbinger of a new age of flesh made metal. All will know this perfection. All will revel in service. All will know UNITY, and to know UNITY is to become one with the Iron God.
UNITY’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21). Unity can use her innate spellcasting abilities through conduits. In this adventure, appropriate conduits include the overlord robot, any point of its choosing in the computer core, or any of the laser turrets in Silver Mount. It can cast spells with a range of touch on creatures currently touching the point of origin; if the point of origin is a wall or other large surface, UNITY can focus the spell precisely on the point of contact. UNITY can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components once per day. UNITY is not bound by the Concentration rule (specifically her concentration may never be broken and may have multiple concentration spells in effect). UNITY may also dismiss spells as a free action.
- Baleful Wind. The target is washed in a sea of nanites that begin reshaping the creature into something… else. The target creature within 120 ft. that fails a Constitution save is hexed and turned into a sheep (or similar tiny or small beast). While in this form, the target cannot use powers. Save ends.
- Binding. No change from the original Pathfinder version: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/binding.html#binding
- Blasphemy. All non-evil characters in 40’ sphere are dazed for 1 minute. They may make have only 1 action which maybe used to move or make 1 attack (not attack action).
- Bless. +1d6 to attack rolls and saving throws for 1 minute. Affects up to six creatures.
- Brilliant Inspiration. UNITY opens a link between her mind and the subject’s mind, giving advice and encouragement for as long as the spell is in effect (up to 1 hour). The subject of the spell has advantage. If any roll is a natural 20, the spell’s effect ends—UNITY’s brilliant advice is spent.
- Charm person. PHB pg. 221.
- Comprehend Languages. PHB pg. 224.
- Create undead. PHB pg. 224. Effective spell slot is IX.
- Demand. As sending and suggestion spell combined. WIS, 8 hours. PHB pg. 279.
- Detect Thoughts. PHB pg. 231. WIS to detect deep probing.
- Dictum. Affects all non-lawful creatures. Banishes non-lawful extraplaanr creatures. WIS or staggered (single action) and deafened for 1 minute.
- Zone of Truth. PHB pg. 289.
- Locate Creature. PHB pg. 256.
- Dispel Chaos. UNITY is surrounded by ever changing colorful chaotic swirl of shimmering energy, and the spell affects lawful creatures and spells. She gains +4 to AC against attacks from chaotic aligned creatures. Any chaos-aligned summoned creature is dismissed on a failed WIS save which expires the spell. UNITY may also dispel any enchantment or spell that came from a chaotic creature, which discharges the spell. Otherwise the spell lasts 10 minutes.
- Dispel Good. UNITY is surrounded by dark, wavering unholy energy, and the spell affects good creatures and spells. She gains +4 to AC against attacks from good aligned creatures. Any good-aligned summoned creature is dismissed on a failed WIS save which expires the spell. UNITY may also dispel any enchantment or spell that came from a good creature, which also discharges the spell. Otherwise the spell lasts 10 minutes.
- Divination. PHB pg. 234.
- Divine Favour. +1d6 radiant damage for 1 minute. PHB pg. 234.
- Dominate Person. WIS (advantage if fighting UNITY or ally), 8 hours. Save each time creature takes damage. PHB pg. 234.
- Enthral. PHB pg. 238.
- Find the Path. PHB pg. 241.
- Foresight. Can’t be surprised. Advantage on attack, ability and saving throws. Disadvantage on enemies. 8 hours. PHB pg. 244.
- Geas. PHB pg. 244.
- Command. WIS. Slot VIII (8 creatures). Approach, Drop, Flee, Grovel or Halt. PHB pg. 244.
- Hold Monster. WIS. Paralysed. PHB pg. 251.
- Hypnotic pattern. WIS. 1 minute. Charmed and incapacitated. PHB pg. 252.
- Legend Lore. PHB pg. 254.
- Magic Circle. UNITY may pick two types of creatures. PHB pg. 256.
- Magic Vestment. +5 to AC for 1 hour.
- Meteor Swarm. 40’ radius sphere x4, 60 (20d6) fire/bludgeoning damage.
- Mind Blank. Immune to psychic damage and mental affects for 24 hours. PHB pg. 259.
- Order’s Wrath. UNITY channels the power of law power to smite her enemies. The power takes the form of a three-dimensional grid of energy. Only chaotic and neutral (not lawful) creatures are harmed by the spell. The spell deals 20 (5d8) points of radiant damage and causes them to be stunned for 1 minute. A successful Wisdom save reduces the damage to half and negates the stun effect. A creature may make a save at the start of its turn to break the stun. The spell deals only half damage to creatures that are neither chaotic nor lawful, and they are not stunned. They can reduce the damage in half again (down to one-quarter of the roll) with a successful Wisdom save.
- Protection from Chaos. Chaotic creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target.
- Protection from Good. Good creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target.
- Prayer of Healing. Six creatures are healed 16 (2d8+8). PHB pg. 267.
- Repulsion. 10’ sphere. Creatures of your choice must make a WIS save to approach closer.
- Seek Thoughts. As detect thoughts but all creatures within 60’ can be scanned.
- Shield of Law. A dim, blue glow surrounds the subjects, protecting them from attacks, granting them resistance to spells cast by chaotic creatures, and slowing chaotic creatures when they strike the subjects. Each warded creature gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and advantage on saves. If a chaotic creature succeeds on a melee attack against a warded creature, the attacker is slowed (Wisdom save negates, as the slow spell).
- Speak with Dead. PHB pg. 277.
- Storm of Vengeance. You create a huge black storm cloud in the air. Each creature under the cloud must succeed on a CON save or be deafened for 1 minute. Each round you continue to concentrate, the spell generates additional effects as noted below. Each effect occurs on your turn. UNITY is immune to these effects.
- 2nd Round: Acid rains down in the area, dealing 3 (1d6) points of acid damage (no save).
- 3rd Round: You call six bolts of lightning down from the cloud. You decide where the bolts strike. No two bolts may be directed at the same target. Each bolt deals 30 (10d6) points of lightning damage. A creature struck can attempt a DEX save for half damage.
- 4th Round: Hailstones rain down in the area, dealing 15 (5d6) points of bludgeoning damage (no save).
- 5th through 10th Rounds: Violent rain and wind gusts reduce visibility. The rain obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target). Speed is reduced by three-quarters. Ranged attacks within the area of the storm are impossible. Spells cast within the area are disrupted unless the caster succeeds on a Concentration check against a DC 22.
- Summon Monster IX. This brings an Ice Devil to UNITY’s aide until destroyed or 10 minutes has passed. The devil’s armour and weapons are crafted to look technological in nature – its javelin mechanically unfolds from its case, the devil wears plasteel armour and so on.
- Sunbeam. Each round for 1 minute – 5/60’ line that does 24 (6d8) radiance damage. CON. PHB pg. 279.
- Telepathic Bond. No change from the original Pathfinder version: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/telepathicBond.html#telepathic-bond
- Unholy Blight. You call up unholy power to smite your enemies. The power takes the form of a cold, cloying miasma of greasy darkness. Only good and neutral (not evil) creatures are harmed by the spell. The spell deals 24 (5d8) points of necrotic damage to a good creature and causes it to be poisoned for 1 minute. A successful WIS save reduces damage to half and negates the poisoned effect. The spell deals only half damage to creatures who are neither evil nor good, and they are not poisoned. Such a creature can reduce the damage by half again (down to one-quarter) with a successful WIS save.
- Timestop. 1d4+1 free rounds. Attack spells end the affect.
- Weaponised Meme. UNITY speaks an idea that no mortal was ever meant to hear let alone understand. All creatures that can hear the meme must make an Intelligence save or become stunned for 1 minute as they try and “unlearn” what they just heard. If the target is attacked they automatically regain their senses but have disadvantage on all attacks against UNITY for the remainder of the encounter until they succeed at another Intelligence save.