A reward in my Oriental Adventures campaign. Posted here for my PCs to reference. I am using the nemuranai tag for OA magic items since in Japanese Mythology magic items are not forged or made (this is seen as disrespectful to the indwelling spirit). Instead the items awaken through various processes – spontaneously, or through powerful magic.
Inspired by Sandy’s weapon from Monkey Magic.
STAFF OF THE TORRENT MOON
Weapon (lajatang), legendary (nemuranai, requires attunement by a sea or river spirit folk)
Omen:While carrying Staff of the Torrent Moons, you and your equipment are instantly dried whenever you emerge from a body of water.
A character can fight with an iajatang as if fighting with two weapons, incurring all the normal attack penalties of using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A monk who is proficient with the iajatang can wield it as a special monk weapon. The weapon weighs 7 lbs and does 1d8 slashing damage. It has 3 charges and regains 1d3 charges daily at dawn. The charges are used to cast any of the weapons spells and can be used to increase the spell slot of the spell if applicable. The iajatang uses the wielders Spell Save DC if a caster of any kind, otherwise it defaults to DC 15 for all applicable spells.
The blade has carp etched into one end of the blade and a swarm of mantis on the other, they seem to change positions when you are not looking. As a nemuranai item, the weapon improves in line with your proficiency modifier:
- Masterwork. The iajatang is a masterwork weapon. You have +1 to your damage rolls.
- The Way of the Carp. While attuned you are considered proficient in the weapon and gain the benefit of the dual wielder feat.
- Obscuring Mist. You can cast fog cloud by consuming at least 1 charge.
- Favor of the Sun I. The Staff of the Torrent Moons now regains 1d4 charges each day and has a maximum of 4 charges.
- Coral’s Endurance. The staff acts as an immovable rod on command.
- Blessings of Thunder. The weapon is now magical granting you a +1 bonus on to hit and damage rolls.
- River of Plenty. On command, you can use create water as the spell by consuming at least 1 charge. The Staff of the Torrent Moons must be touched to a container for this feature to work, the water appearing inside the container. If you are good aligned, this ability might optionally be used to create 1 pint of holy water inside the container.
- Golden Carp. By consuming a charge, as bonus action, you can summon a golden carp into any body of water within 30 feet that is large enough to contain the creature. It understands your speech and follows your commands perfectly. It remains until slain (in which case it cannot be summoned again for 24 hours) or dismissed (a free action). This ability can be used as often as desired, but only one companion can be present at any one time. If you have the animal ally feat it applies to the golden carp. The number of charges expended will determine the strength (statistics) of the creature:
- Use the dolphin statblock.
- Use the reef shark statblock.
- Use the hunter shark statblock.
- Use the carp dragon statblock.
- Use the giant carp statblock.
- Summons a CR 6 carp dragon (use the white dragon wyrmling stat block).
- Favour of the Storm. The weapons magic improves, you now have a +2 bonus on to hit and damage rolls.
- Mibu Water Breathing Technique. You can breathe underwater (fresh or salt). You may expend a charge to grant this ability to a willing creature you touch as the water breathing spell.
- Favour of the Sun II. The Staff of the Torrent Moons now regains 1d6 charges each day and has a maximum of 6 charges.
- Shape of Carp. When you hit a target, you may expend a charge as a bonus action to polymorph the target into a tiny goldfish (use the quipper).
- School of Carp. You may expend a charge and summon a swarm of carp (use the swarm of quippers) into any body of water large enough to hold the swarm. It persists until killed or dismissed by you.
- Water Bending. You may expend a charge and cast cure wounds by touching a target with the Staff of the Torrent Moons.
- Awakened Kami. The Staff of the Torrent Moons is now fully sentient and either takes the name you give it or takes the name Sandy. It has your alignment. Roll on the Sentient Magic Items table to determine its ability scores, communication ability and senses.
- Ride the Dragon. The weapons magic improves, you now have a +3 bonus on to hit and damage rolls. It also becomes axiomatic (Lawful) or anarchic (Chaotic) depending on your alignment doing a bonus 2d6 damage to creatures of the opposing Law vs Chaos axis. If you are true neutral it becomes both axiomatic and anarchic.
- Justice of the Sea. By expending two charges, you can subject a single living creature you hit with the iajatang to horrid wilting as the spell.
Tsukomogami were man made items of exceptional quality that had had their kami awakened, either through the skill used in creating them or through their association with great deeds. These items can usually only be attuned or used by a single person. They grow in power as the hero who owns it also grows in fame, honour and power.
2 thoughts on “STAFF OF THE TORRENT MOON”
As the player who owns this staff has resigned from the campaign due to real world commitments I am posting the full-powered up version here.
Player returned so updated staff.
You must log in to post a comment.