The Japanese doppelgänger. Residents of the gutted pagoda. The kumo are at war with the oni and okami. Built off the 5E/4E drider. I didn’t get to use Akinosa but a DM always reuses his stuff so he appears later re-skinned.
Large monstrosity (shapechanger, yokai), neutral evil
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 129 (13d10 + 52)
Speed 50 ft., climb 30 ft., fly 60 ft (spell)
|16 (+3)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||13 (+1)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)|
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Undercommon
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
Innate Spellcasting. The Akinosa’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13). The drider can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: dimension door
- 1/day each: darkness, fly*, false life* (+6hp), mage armor*, blur* (disadvantage), mirror image, shield*
*These spells are active at the start of the fight.
Spider Climb. The Akinosa can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Web Walker. The Akinosa ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.
Kumo Poison. When exposed to kumo poison a target must make a successful DC 15 Con saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute, while poisoned the creature is paralysed.
Multiattack. Akinosa makes three attacks from the available choices.
Long Limbed Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 2 (1d4) piercing damage plus 9 (2d8) poison damage and exposed to kumo poison.
Long Limbed Razor Legs. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) piercing damage.
Blowgun. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage and exposed to kumo poison.
Shapechange. Akinosa can use his action to polymorph into a Medium beast, humanoid of CR 5 or lower, a hybrid form, or from another form back into his own form. Akinosa retains its Int, Wis, and Cha scores and its current hit points while polymorphed; otherwise, he takes on all the attributes of the adopted form. he can cast spells if the adopted form can provide the spell’s verbal and somatic components, and he retains his paralytic poison trait if the adopted form has a bite attack. Akinosa dancer reverts to its natural form when slain.
- Spit Web. Akinosa encases a target in webbing wrapping them so tightly it paralyses them for 1 minute(Escape DC 15). The web can also be destroyed by 10 points of slashing or fire damage against AC 12. This web has the additional effect of forcing spellcasters to make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on spells.
- Spit Poison. Akinosa selects a target within 60 feet and spits kumo poison at them. The target take 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and 10 (3d6) poison damage.
- Chain Lightning. Akinosa casts chain lightning which hits 1 target within 30 feet than chains to at least 3 other targets and chains again to another 3 hostile targets before expending its energy for 45 (10d8) lightning damage on a failed DC 14 Dexterity saving throw.
- Baleful Polymorph Akinosa turns a target into a rat for 1 hour. He enjoys polymorphing his enemies into rats, an animal considered unlucky by many in Caroa. The target can make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the end of its turn to revert to its normal form.
Before Combat Akinosa casts false life and mage armor every day. If alerted to the presence of intruders, Akinosa sends out his guards from the Open Web (area A8b) and casts scrying to determine the point of attack. He then positions his elite defenders, the Gossamer (area A10b), between the attack and himself. Before combat, Akinosa casts blur, fly, mirror image, and shield.
Combat. If encountered in his lair, Akinosa plays his drums of panic (see area A9b) to scare away foes, then drinks from his flask of endless sake in the hope of getting a beneficial potion. Akinosa uses fly or dimension door to move around in combat and avoid melee, instead using his wand of lightning bolt and casting his toughest spells, including chain lightning and baleful polymorph. Akinosa enjoys polymorphing his enemies into rats, an animal considered unlucky by many in Tian Xia. If engaged in melee combat, Akinosa casts interposing hand for cover and attacks with his dagger of venom.
Morale Akinosa is likely to believe that any attackers are agents of Munasukaru and fears capture accordingly. If reduced to 20 hit points or fewer, Akinosa casts dimension door to flee to safety, gathering whatever followers he has left to launch a counterattack.
Combat Gear wand of lightning bolt (23 charges), Medium spider venom (4 doses); Other Gear dagger of venom, masterwork blowgun with 10 darts, cloak of resistance +2, flask of endless sake (see page 60), silver sake drinking bowl (worth 110 gp), magnificently carved hardwood ball medallion depicting the world being devoured by an imperial dragon (worth 50 gp), silver mirror worth 1,000 gp (focus for scrying spell), 2 doses of tobacco (worth 50 gp total), keys to all locks in the aboveground levels of the House of the Withered Blossoms