A chicken familiar (hen) exposed to high levels of radiation during an adventure turns into a chocobo-like creature. Eventually, my player lost this familiar, re-summoned, and got a demonic version and eventually got the arcane version. It’s the same spirit just taking different forms. The chocobo is called Diabexes – because it’s fat and loves sweets.
DIABEXES, the ARCANE CHOCOBO
Arcane Giant Chicken
Large fey (beast), unaligned or as arcane spellcaster*
AC 15; HP 19; Speed 20 ft., fly 40 ft. (drift)
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 12 (+1) 13 (+1) 5 (-3) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)
Saves as arcane spellcaster
Skill Perception +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Common (At the level of a human toddler)
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
Arcane Familiar. Arcane familiars are magically imbued with a special power of some kind. They grant the wizard a spell or power that he may not have otherwise possessed. Arcane familiars have these traits:
- Wizard. The familiar arrives knowing one randomly generated level 1 spell that the wizard does not already know.
- Sorcerer. The familiar provides an additional sorcerer die to the sorcerer that may be used once per day. All other rules apply as normal to the use of this SD.
Familiar. The wizard gains the following benefits while the chocobo lives:
- The arcane caster and familiar can communicate telepathically, though this is limited by the familiar’s senses and intelligence.
- The arcane caster gains bonus hit points equal to the familiar’s.
- The arcane spellcaster gains a boon on a related trait the familiar has. For the chocobo it is on Perception checks.
Drift. A chocobo flies in short bursts and can’t use its fly speed to hover. When it flies, it must end its move action by landing or perching on a solid surface.
Unpredictable. A chocobo moves in unpredictable ways – people are not used to fighting giant chickens – and has advantage on initiative rolls.
Peck. Melee Weapon Attack: arcane spellcasting ability modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1d6 + 4 piercing damage and 1d4 arcane damage.
Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: arcane spellcasting ability modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1d4 + 4 bludgeoning damage and the target is knocked back 5 feet.
Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: arcane spellcasting ability modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1d4 + 4 slashing damage and 1 necrotic damage until the end of the encounter or the target is healed (by magic or using an action).
Lazer Eyes! Ranged Magic Attack: arcane spellcasting ability modifier to hit, range 60 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1d8 arcane damage.
*Arcane spellcaster includes wizard, sorcerer, and warlock.