There is a tradition in my house that when one of my kids hits the age of 10 we all watch the Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon together. This being my last round of watching with the family as a part of this tradition I thought it would be fun to convert some of the creatures and magic items for 5e. Enjoy.
Source: Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon – “The Treasure of Tardos”
Seems like a combination of Tiamat and Demogorgon.
Innate Spellcasting. Demodragon’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 23). Demodragon can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At will: detect magic, major image
- 3/day each: dispel magic, fear, telekinesis
- 1/day each: feeblemind, project image
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Demodragon fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Resistance. Demodragon has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. Demodragon weapon attacks are magical.
Two Heads. Demodragon has advantage on saving throws against being blinded, deafened, stunned, and knocked unconscious.
Ice Walk. Demodragon can move across and climb icy surfaces without needing to make an ability check. Additionally, difficult terrain composed of ice or snow doesn’t cost it extra movement.
Gaze. Demodragon turns his magical gaze toward one creature that he can see within 120 feet of him. That target must make a DC 23 Wisdom saving throw. Unless the target is incapacitated, it can avert its eyes to avoid the gaze and to automatically succeed on the save. If the target does so, it can’t see Demodragon until the start of his next turn. If the target looks at him in the meantime, it must immediately make the save. If the target fails the save, the target suffers one of the following effects of Demodragon’s choice or at random:
- Beguiling Gaze. The target is stunned until the start of Demodragon’s next turn or until Demodragon is no longer within line of sight.
- Hypnotic Gaze. The target is charmed by Demodragon until the start of Demodragon’s next turn. Demogorgon chooses how the charmed target uses its actions, reactions, and movement. Because this gaze requires Demogorgon to focus both heads on the target, he can’t use his Maddening Gaze legendary action until the start of his next turn.
- Insanity Gaze. The target suffers the effect of the confusion spell without making a saving throw. The effect lasts until the start of Demodragon’s next turn. Demodragon doesn’t need to concentrate on the spell.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Demodragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 21 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Demodragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Breath Weapons. The Demodragon uses one of the following breath weapons.
- Cold Breath (Recharge 5–6). The Demodragon exhales an icy blast in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw, taking 72 (16d8) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Fire Breath (Recharge 5–6). The Demodragon exhales fire in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw, taking 91 (26d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (2d10 + 9) bludgeoning damage plus 11 (2d10) necrotic damage.
- Maddening Gaze. Demodragon uses his Gaze action, and must choose either the Beguiling Gaze or the Insanity Gaze effect.
- Detect. The Demodragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.