In the game The Golden Axe there are skeletons who are tougher than the mini-bosses. This spawned a joke about “beware the skeletons with the golden axe”. Here is the skeleton. He is on a random encounter for my Clash of the Titans game. A rebuild of my Gasha-Dokuro skeleton from Japan. In my game, this creature patrolled the Tower of Typhon (Sydon).
NB: I use an abbreviated stat block for my monsters. Just makes them easier to read in combat and easier to convert to other games like OSR. It should be easy to decipher. One call out, I use the AC number for all DCs as well.
GOLDEN AXE SKELETON KING
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the golden axe skeleton king fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. The golden axe skeleton king has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Turn Resistance.The golden axe skeleton king has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.
- Undead Fortitude. If damage reduces the golden axe skeleton king to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, it drops to 1 hit point instead.
- Golden Axe. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10ft., one target. Hit: 4d8 + 10 slashing damage and 2d10 radiant damage.
- Foot Stomp (x1). Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 4d10 + 10 bludgeoning damage and 2d10 necrotic damage.
- Titanic Shield Bash (x1). Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10ft., all targets. Hit: 3d10 + 10 bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a CON saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.
- Defiled Retribution. As a reaction to being targeted by a range attack the golden axe skeleton can throw his golden axe at the target. He makes a golden axe attack which has a range of 120 feet. Hit or miss the weapon always returns to the hand of the golden axe skeleton king.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS (x3)
- Attack. The golden axe skeleton king makes one attack from the available options.
- Move. The golden axe skeleton king moves up to half its speed.
- Stomp (Costs 2 Actions). The golden axe skeleton king makes one stomp attack.
The Golden Axe. This +1 great axe does an additional 2d10 radiant damage on attacks. It maybe thrown and up to 30/60/120 feet depending on the size of the creature wielding it. It also grants its wielder the great weapon master feat. Intelligent sword of neutral alignment. Sings quietly to herself or to her wielder, but not if anyone else is around. She is clairvoyant out to five miles but only looking straight down from 100′. While holding axe its attuned wielder never has penalties on stealth checks and does maximum damage in a surprise round.