As part of the Clash of the Titans campaign I am currently running – a modified Odyssey of the Dragonlords campaign – the players have a running feud with one of the villain’s cronies named Gaius. He has a silver dragon named Argyn (which everyone pronounced Argon) an evil silver dragon. When the party raided the cronies fortress on the Island of Yonder they avoided fighting both Gaius and Argon. This, of course, infuriated Gaius. I then added him to the random encounter table for the Forgotten and Cerulean Sea. I had it set up that if a repeat encounter was rolled it would be with Argon. This lead to a cool “Dragons of Ice” style sea battle. The party won the battle. Here is the updated version of Argon, I left Gaius as is but he had unlimited Javelins of Lightning for the battle.
Spells and critical tables are from Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG. You can ignore these and replace the spells with 5e spells if you don’t have access to DCC.
NB: I use an abbreviated stat block for my monsters. Just makes them easier to read in combat and easier to convert to other games like OSR. It should be easy to decipher. One call out, I use the AC number for all DCs as well.
Huge dragon, lawful evil
AC 18, HP 342, Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.
STR +8, CON +12, INT +3, WIS +6, CHA +10; +5
Skills Arcana +8, History +8, Perception +11, Stealth +5
Senses Blindsight 60 ft., Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 21
CR 16 (15,000 XP)
Innate Spellcasting. Argyn can cast the following spells per the attached spell table. He uses a 1d20 at +4:
- Level 1: invoke patron (Typhon), colour spray
- Level 2: monster summoning
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Argyn fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
- Frightful Presence (Aura). Each creature of the Argyn’s choice that is within 120 feet of her and aware of Argyn must succeed on a WIS saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
- Rusting hide. The dragon has a tarnished quality to her scales. The dragon’s hide causes rust in all normal metal objects. As a result, its treasure horde consists primarily of gems and magical items. Weapons used to attack the dragon crumble to rust upon touch (although magic weapons are immune but scare the players by describing how the hide starts to turn their weapons to rust but the magical quality of the weapon allows it to reverse the effect – while rolling dice at the same time).
- Dragon Critical. Argynuses a 2d14 on the dragon critical table when he scores a critical hit (natural 20).
Actions (x3 @ +13)
- Bite. 2d10 + 8 piercing damage (reach 10 ft.).
- Claw. 2d6 + 8 slashing damage.
- Tail. 2d8 + 8 bludgeoning damage (reach 15 ft.).
Breath Weapons (Timer 1d4). The dragon uses one of the following breath weapons. Each breath weapon works on its own timer.
- Cold Breath. Argyn exhales an icy blast in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make CON saving throw, taking 12d8 cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Paralysing Breath. Argyn exhales paralysing gas in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a CON saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Detect Precious Metals. Argyn can detect object of one type within 100’ at will. The level of precision depends on age and ranges from very specific (i.e., exact size and quantity of object) to vague (directional only). Object of detection: precious metals.
- Corrupt Water. Argyn can turn all water within 100’ poisonous (CON save or lose 1d4 hit points per sip).
- Turn invisible (1/hour). Argyn can become invisible for up to 10 minutes.
- Change Shape. The dragon magically polymorphs into a humanoid or beast that has a challenge rating no higher than its own, or back into its true form. It reverts to its true form if it dies. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the dragon’s choice). In a new form, the dragon retains its alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action. Its statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of the new form, except any class features or legendary actions of that form.
- Invoke Patron. Argyn may use invoke patron when making a saving throw.
Legendary Actions (x3)
- Detect. Argyn makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Action Economy. Argyn uses one of her available actions including casting a spell.
- Kill the Crew! Argyn targets the crew and kills 1d20 crew members.
- Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions).The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw or take 15 (2d6 + 8) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
- I use the DCC version of the same name for these.
Gaius (who my group of teenage boys started calling Gaius Maximus) was also mounted on the back of the dragon and threw lightning bolts whenever he could. He was eventually captured when Argon was killed.
You must log in to post a comment.