Posted here as reference for my PCs.
Awakened Cachalot Whale
Gargantuan beast, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 16 (barkskin, if dispelled AC is 14)
Hit Points 276 (24d20 + 24)
Speed 0 ft., swim 60 ft.
|19 (+4)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||12 (+1)||22 (+6)||7 (-2)|
Saving Throws INT +8, WIS +13
Senses Blindsight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Druidic, Primordial, Octopi
Challenge 23 (50,000 XP)
Spellcasting.* Urlkathon is an 18th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 21, +13 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following druid spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, mending, poison spray, produce flame
- 1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, faerie fire, speak with animals
- 2nd level (3 slots): animal messenger, beast sense, hold person
- 3rd level (3 slots): conjure animals, meld into stone, water breathing, water walk
- 4th level (3 slots): dominate beast, locate creature, stoneskin, wall of fire
- 5th level (3 slots): commune with nature, mass cure wounds, tree stride
- 6th level (1 slot): heal, heroes’ feast, sunbeam
- 7th level (1 slot): fire storm
- 8th level (1 slot): animal shapes
- 9th level (1 slot): foresight
* Urlkathon can cast spells in his natural form using a variant of whalesong in place of speech (for verbal components) and using his tail and flippers in place of arms and hands (for somatic components).
Animal Companions. Urlkathoon has used animal friendship to gain the companionship of a pair of cachalot whales, a dire shark and a giant octopus. They all have maximum hit points.
Dominated Elemental. Urlkathoon has dominated an elder air elemental (as a dijinni with maximum hit points and no innate spellcasting ability and its scimitar attack is replaced with wind slice which does bludgeoning damage) with his rod of elemental mastery. The dominated elemental is never found far from his side.
Hold Breath. Urlkathon can hold his breath for 30 minutes.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Urlkathon fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Keen Hearing. Urlkathon has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.
Special Gear. Urlkathon has the following gear: a crystal ball of telepathy, ring of air elemental command, a shaman’s satchel (where he stores his items and acts as a bag of holding), two pearl’s of power (one standard and one that can restore a spell slot of up to 8th level), staff of healing, and an orb of storms. He has also read a tome of understanding allowing his Wisdom to exceed the 20. Note he cannot manipulate or use most of his items while in his natural form.
Multiattack. Urlkathon can cast a spell or use Change Shape. He then makes two attacks: one with his bite and one with his tail or as appropriate to his new form.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (5d6 + 4) piercing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
Epic Wild Shape. Urlkathon magically polymorphs into a beast or elemental with a challenge rating no higher than his own, and can remain in this form for up to 9 hours. Urlkathon can choose whether his equipment falls to the ground, melds with his new form, or is worn by the new form. Urlkathon reverts to his true form if he dies or falls unconscious. The new form can be of Tiny to Gargantuan size at Urlkathoon’s choice. Urlkathon can revert to his true form using a bonus action on his turn.
While in a new form, Urlkathon retains his game statistics and ability to speak, but his AC, movement modes, Strength, and Dexterity are replaced by those of the new form, and he gains any special senses, proficiencies, traits, actions, and reactions (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that he lacks. He can cast his spells with verbal or somatic components in his new form.
The new form’s attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances and immunity to nonmagical attacks.
Urlkathon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. He regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Cantrip. Urlkathon casts a cantrip.
- Cast a Spell (Costs 1-3 Actions). Urlkathon casts a spell of level 1 to 3.
- Elemental Attack. Urlkathon commands his enslaved air elemental to attack or uses his ring of air elemental command.
- Polymorph into Plant (1/Day, recharges if target saves). A target hit by this attack is polymorphed into a tree for the duration (otherwise, as the polymorph spell). The target is stunned and has vulnerability to fire.
- Shifter. Urlkathon uses Change Shape.
In his natural form, Urlkathoon is a 64-foot-long sperm whale wid dead black skin that is pocked with scars and old wounds. He prefers to exoplore the seas with other whales, but lately he has become hoirribly bosesses with revenge against the unkown assassing who slew his mistress, the octopi barness Tesseril.
In combat, Urlkathoon prefers to use his spells while in wild shape form. His epic-level traits allow him to assume a form from Tiny to Gargantuan sizes; his favourite wild shape is a gargantuan elder elemental. He can also cast spells in any form he takes using is wild shape ability, despite the probably lack of hands or a voice.
Urlkathoon’s is still not used to beign awakened and has yet to fully understand human society. The fact he was awakened by an octopi arch-druid complicates things further as the octopi have little understanding (or care for) land dwellers culture.