Kikonu was supported by 8 five storm ninjas and an unlimited number of kenku ninja minions (see below).
I also added a “flashback” effect when a true oni was permanently killed – ala Demon Slayer.
Medium fiend (shapechanger, oni), lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (yamabushi tengu shozuku)
Hit Points 97 (13d8 + 39)
Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 19 (+4) 16 (+3) 14 (+2) 12 (+1) 15 (+2)
Saving Throws DEX +7, CON +6, WIS +4, CHA +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Oni
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
Blur. While in shadow, the first attack of each round against him always misses. The second attack suffers a -2 penalty and all others are made at normal chances.
Regeneration. Kikonu regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If Kikonu takes jade based damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of his next turn.
The Final Act. As a bonus action he calls for reinforcements and a kenku ninja joins the battle (see below).
Steal Voice (3/Day). No more than once per target per day, Kikonu can attempt to steal a victim’s voice as part of its bite attack. When it does so, the creature bitten must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or lose the ability to speak aloud. This prevents the use of any spell with verbal components and the use of command- word-activated magic items, among other difficulties. The Kikonu’s voice changes to match the one stolen. The victim’s voice remains stolen until the oni steals another voice, until the oni agrees to give the stolen voice back (an action requiring the oni to touch the victim), or until the next sunrise. Any effect that removes curses (such as remove curse) can restore a stolen voice (DC for success, if required, equals the save DC of the steal voice ability—DC 13 for most Kikonu), as does the death of the oni who stole the voice in the first place.
Susceptible to Patterns. Kikonu takes a –2d4 penalty on all saving throws against spells and effects that create patterns. Until the end of the round after he either makes a successful save against a pattern or recovers from the effects of a pattern, it is dazzled for 1 minute (disadvantage on perception checks and -1d4 to hit).
Yamabushi Weapons. Kikonu is skilled in the use of katanas, wakizashis, daikyu and the kusarigama. He gets a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with this weapon (included) and he cannot suffer from disadvantage when attacking with any of these weapons.
Discorporation. Unless killed using an honorable weapon – like a mortal blade – a destroyed oni turns into black smoke before dissipating. It gains a new body in 1d10 years, regaining all its hit points and becoming active again.
Demon Blood Magic. Kikonu’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13). Kikonu can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Constant—see invisibility, ventriloquism
- 3/day— cataracts (CON, vision reduced to 10’), dimension door, hideous laughter, ray of enfeeblement , scorching ray, vanish (become invisible until the end of his next turn or until he attacks)
- 1/day—blur, glitterdust (show invis, blinded), invisibility
Multiattack. Kikonu makes two black claw attacks, uses shadowy shuriken and his bonus action.
Black Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage and 5 necrotic damage plus steal voice and if the target is anything except a kami, Kikonu can choose one of the following additional effects:
- The target is unable to take reactions until the end of Kikonu’s next turn and take 2 (1d4) slashing damage for every 5 feet of movement it makes on its next turn.
- The target is inflicted with a powerful curse for 1 minute. While cursed, a creature must succeed a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns or be unable to take an Action on that turn. A remove curse spell ends the effect early.
- The target is unable to cast spells of 1st level or higher on its next turn.
Shadowy Shuriken. Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing and 12 (4d6) necrotic damage, the target is also blinded for 1 minute on a failed DC 17 Constitution saving throw.
Shinies! (1/Day). Kikonu performs a short ritual, attempting to suck in valuables near him. Each creature within 30 feet of the him, must succeed a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, or have valuables magically lifted from their pockets. The valuables for each affected creature have a total value of 4d6 x 100 gp. The valuables are pocketed by Kikonu.
Change Shape. Kikonu magically polymorphs into a Small or Medium humanoid, into a Large giant, or back into its true form. Other than its size, its statistics are the same in each form. The only equipment that is transformed is its glaive, which shrinks so that it can be wielded in humanoid form. If the he dies, it reverts to its true form, and its glaive reverts to its normal size.
Blood Arrows of Yajinden. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 300/600 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage and 5 necrotic damage. The arrow sticks to the target and continues to do necrotic damage at the start of the targets turn unless they spend an action to pull the arrow out. Pulling the arrow out causes another 4 piercing and necrotic damage. If the target is anything except a kami, Kikonu can choose one of the following additional effects:
- The target must succeed a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be unable to take reactions until the end of the Kikonu’s next turn and take 2 (1d4) slashing damage for every 5 feet of movement it makes on its next turn.
- The target must succeed a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be inflicted with a powerful curse for 1 minute. While cursed, a creature must succeed a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns or be unable to take an Action on that turn. A remove curse spell ends the effect early.
- The target must succeed a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or be unable to cast spells of 1st level or higher on its next turn.
- Deliver one of his spells.
No Honour in Death. When a non-minion ninja dies, Kikonu commands them to keep fighting for the glory of Anumaramon. The ninja must make a DC 12 Charisma saving throw or keep fighting with 1 hit point.
Villain actions occur one per round in the order presented at the end of another creatures turn.
- What are you Waiting for, an invitation? All ninja’s get a free movement that does not provoke.
- Suffocate! Kikonu pull’s the air away from up to three living and breathing creatures within 120 feet of him, making it difficult for the creature to breathe. At the end of each round until the end of the encounter, each target takes 7 (2d6) bludgeoning damage and can only take 1 action this round (no multiattacks) (DC 15 Con save ends). Get over here!
- I will not fail again! Any remaining ninja’s get a free attack as a last gasp effort to defeat the heroes.
When Kikonu discorporates, the street is blanketed by a silence spell. His treasure is only available if he is slain with the mortal blade – a silvery chain worth 80 sen and a potion of renewal (cures 25 points of damage or any one ailment).
Spirit sensitive characters – like shaman’s and shukenja or any character with a Religion skill of 10+ gets a glimpse into Kikonu’s life when he was a human. Sometimes these are tragic, sometimes they were just evil people who deserved their fate:
You see a selfish little man envious of his more successful kabuki writers and actors. The other writer belittles Kikonu’s play and lifes work. In a fit of envy and rage he poisons his rival but is caught by the magistrates. He is then beheaded and is sent to Jigoku to be punished.
Medium humanoid (kenku, minion), chaotic neutral
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 1
Speed 30 ft.
Ambusher. In the first round of a combat, the kenku has advantage on attack rolls against any creature it surprised.
Mimicry. The kenku can mimic any sounds it has heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 14 Wisdom (Insight) check.
Ninja-To. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.
Yumi (Shortbow). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.