Big Book of Robots
Wondrous Item, very rare
Similar to the Manual of Golems which creates dumb automatons, these manuals teach the user how to create intelligent automatons knowns as robots. Each tome contains information and incantations necessary to make a particular CR of robot. To decipher and use the manual, you must be a spellcaster with at least two 5th-level spell slots. A creature that can’t use a big book of robots and attempts to read it takes 6d6 psychic damage on a failed DC 25 Arcana* check.
|1-10||Up to CR 5 robot||Gearsmen (Mk I)||30 days||50,000 GP|
|11-15||Up to CR 9 robot||Gearsmen (Mk II)||60 days||65,000 GP|
|16-19||Up to CR 12 robot||Gearsmen (Mk III)||90 days||80,000 GP|
|20||Up to CR 16 robot||Myrmidon||120 days||100,000 GP|
To create a robot, you must spend the time shown on the table, this time can be split up, but it must be done in 1 day chunks. For example, to build a CR 5 robot you could spend 1 day and 1,666gp which would mean you only had 29 days and 48,334 gp to go. Th gp value represents robot parts and other material needed to build the robot. This does not have to be a raw gp value, if the creator has collected robot parts equivalent to the amount shown, that will suffice. Finally, robots can be upgraded between versions. The builder pays the difference in time and cost.
The exact abilities are determined between the PC and DM though it should not exceed the approximate power levels of the listed CRs. Examples of each are provided. At a minimum all robots share the following traits:
- 10 INT and WIS and 5 CHA.
- Vulnerable to lightning damage.
- Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t skymetal.
- Damage Immunities to necrotic and poison.
- Condition immunities to being charmed, frightened, paralysed, petrified, poisoned
- The Hard to Kill reaction which allows the robot to repair 1/4 of their HD the first time they are dropped to 0 hit points during an encounter.
- And for robots of CR 9+ they gain a damage threshold of 5, or 10 if equal to or above CR 15.
Once you finish creating the robot, the book is consumed in eldritch flames. The robot becomes animate when the ashes of the manual are sprinkled on it. It is under your control, and it understands and obeys your spoken commands.
*As all magic is technological in nature Arcana reflects expertise in technology and not just magic (in the traditional sense).
You must log in to post a comment.