See the index post for the context of this monster. My PCs never fought the broodmother because they woke Zeus (skygod) who killed a party member before the rest prostrated themselves, Zeus then promptly killed there remaining broodfiends – Swordmaniac, Runt Runt and the Broodmother – giving the party enough time to flee.
With the upper body of a broodfiend which implies femininity in her shape, but her lower body is bloated, with pulsating tumours and writhing tentacles.
Huge fiend (demon, aberration), chaotic evil
AC [15 plus average of party to-hit] or 20
HP [Total HPs of the party] or 600
Speed 50 ft., climb 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
STR +8, DEX +9, CON +14, WIS +11, +6
Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from attacks that aren’t silvered; -1 on all damage die rolls
Immunities fire, poison; poisoned, immobilized, restrained
Senses truesight 60 ft.
Languages Infernal, Giant; CR 24 (62,000 XP)
Chaotic Regeneration. Any fire and poison damage heals the broodmother back to full hit points. Cold and radiation damage heals her for half the damage inflicted. She still suffers the other effects of radiation, however.
New Growth. If the target is a living creature, it must succeed on a CON (bane) saving throw or suffer the effects of new growth as larval broodfiends burrow out of its skin. Once outside their host the newborn broodfiends are harmless and attempt only to escape. However, the target takes 5d6 necrotic damage and is sickened by the experience and gains the poisoned condition for 1 minute.
Crawling with Spawn. The broodmother’s body is covered with broodfiend larva which writhe like a carpet over her. Any creature that attacks the broodmother within 5 feet is automatically exposed to new growth. The broodfiend spawns appear as finger sized caterpillars with the minotaur/shark like heads adults have.
Legendary Magic Resistance (3/Day). The broodmother has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. She can also automatically succeed on a failed saving throw up to three times a day.
Magic Weapons. The broodmother’s weapon attacks are magical.
Malignant Life Aura. Any creature with the poisoned condition that starts its turn within 30 feet of the broodmother must make a CON (bane) saving throw. On a failed save, the target suffers the effects of new growth.
- Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (4d6 + 8) piercing damage. The target must succeed on a CON saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target can’t regain hit points, and it takes 21 (6d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. Poisoned targets also have disadvantage on saving throws against new growth.
- Razor Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) slashing damage or 68 slashing damage on a critical. This attack scores a critical hit on 17-20.
- Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (3d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage and the target is exposed to new growth.
- Regurgitator (Recharge 5-6). The broodmother exhales a stream of immature spawn in a 90-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DEX saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) radiant and 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Creatures damaged by this attack are also exposed to new growth.
- Transfer Suffering. As a reaction, a broodmother can transfer a single harmful spell effect or condition from herself to one of her larval broodfiend that is currently within her malignant life aura or to any creature that has the poisoned condition.
Legendary Actions x3
- Gory Arrival. This ability allows the broodfiend to teleport herself from her current location to any other spot within 500 feet or to any spawn that is within 1 mile of her. She arrives at exactly the spot desired. On arrival, she explodes out from her spawn, destroying it entirely.
- Tentacle Lash. The broodfiend makes a tentacle attack.
- Well of Life (Costs 2 Actions). A broodfiend can unleash the primal life energy within her body to either heal herself or an ally she touches for 21 (6d6) hit points. Alternatively, the broodfiend pulses with the primal energy of corrupted life causing 21 (6d6) radiant damage to all creatures within 30 feet of her, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Trill. The alien creature starts to sing and one of the following effects occur until the broodmother stops singing or is otherwise silenced or incapacitated. She can have all songs going at the same time, if she does, additional mouths appear on her body. The effective range of these songs is 30 feet:
- Confusion Trill. As the spell, once a creature saves, they are immune to this effect.
- Slowing Song. As the spell, once a creature saves, they are immune to this effect.
- Distorted Feedback. At the start of each turn each character takes 10 psychic damage.
Every living broodfiend will come to the defence of the broodmother. A broodfiend joins every 1d4 rounds, -1 for each broodfiend already in engaged to a minimum of 1. If no broodfiends remain, 1d6+1 broodfiend swarms emerge from cracked eggs and the mucous covered walls:
Broodfiend Larval Swarm
Medium swarm of Tiny fiends, chaotic evil
AC 12; HP 36; Speed 30 ft.
STR -1, DEX +2, CHA +2; +3
DR bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
Senses Darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages –; CR 5 (1,800 XP)
Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature’s space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny rat. The swarm can’t regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.
Bites. The swarm automatically does 14 (4d6) piercing damage to any creature sharing its space or adjacent to it. This damage can only be healed naturally and not through magic.
- 1d6 +1 fulminating eggs (grenades, 6d6 1. Bludgeoning, 2. Force, 3. Fire, 4. Thunder, 5. Lightning or 6. Piercing damage, 7. Poison, 8. Psychic).
- One of the broodfiend eggs is stillborn and its shell can be used as a single legendary quality ioun stone.