See the index post for the context of this monster.
The Mad Maiden (Broodfiend)
Huge fiend (devil, aberration), chaotic evil
AC 19; HP 300; Speed 60 ft.
STR +8, DEX +8, CON +13, INT -2, WIS +10, CHA -4, +6
Resistances Cold; -1 on all and each damage die rolls
Immunities Fire, Poison; Poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft.
Languages Infernal, Giant; CR 20 (25,000 XP)
- Babbling Aura. While possessed she chants in an eldritch tongue which causes confusion to all non-fiends, non-Olympian clerics who can hear her on a failed WIS save.
- Magic Resistance. Broodfiend has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. Broodfiend’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Morale. The broodfiends have a morale rating of 10. When they are first hit, are reduced to half hit points, if an ally is kill and each time they take a critical hit roll 2d6. On an 11 and 12 the broodfiend flees.
- Possession. When encountered roll a d6 on a 1-4 she is normal, on a 5-6 she is possessed. Whenever she takes damage in combat while normal there is a 50% chance she will be possessed.
- Siege Monster. Broodfiend’s do double damage to objects and ignore damage thresholds.
- Trampling Charge.If the broodfiend moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a STR saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the broodfiend can make one stomp attack against it as a bonus action.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (4d6 + 8) piercing damage. The target must succeed on a CON saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target can’t regain hit points, and it takes 21 (6d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Smash! Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
- Egg-Rocks. Ranged Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 29 (4d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage. These rocks are actually broodfiend eggs and crack open releasing 1d6 broodfiend larval swarms. If any larval broodfiends are destroyed by the PCs all broodfiends that witness this act fly into a rage and have advantage on attack rolls and saving throws until the end of the encounter.
- Stomp. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one prone creature. Hit: 23 (3d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
Bucking Bronco. Whenever the broodfiend is in melee with more than one opponent or is flanked, all creatures within 10 ft. must make a DEX saving throw or take 23 (3d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
May use any available action and also move up to 30 feet as part of that action.
- Timer (1d4). Randomly discharge a mind scream – 20-foot sphere, 22 (4d8 + 4) psychic, stunned for 1 minute on a failed INT saving throw.