Custom/converted magic items for my homebrew campaign world “The Ninth World”. Placed here for my PCs to reference.
Cloning Vats and Brain Taping
This facility allows a creature to take a “snapshot” of a creature storing a clone in a vat ready for reactivation if the original dies. The vats function as the clone spell with the following changes:
- You can only have 1 brain-tapped clone at any given time.
- The clone is a snapshot of your character at the time of cloning, or it can be a younger version (i.e., lower level). The clone will only have the abilities, memories and experiences of the original at the time of the snapshot.
- It costs 1,000gp per level or CR of the creature being cloned in material, and the target must be willing.
- When the original dies, there is no need to make a CON saving throw to see if you resurrect; you instead automatically lose 1 point of “Will to Live”*, and your soul immediately inhabits the clone.
- If somehow the clone is activated and the original/previous clone is still alive, the clone will seek the original in a homicidal rage until it or the original are dead.
* Will to Live is the PC’s original CON number. Each time the PC is brought back from the dead, they automatically lose 1 point of Will to Live; once this reaches zero, the PC can not be brought back from the dead.