A reward in my Oriental Adventures campaign. Posted here for my PCs to reference. I am using the nemuranai tag for OA magic items since in Japanese Mythology magic items are not forged or made (this is seen as disrespectful to the indwelling spirit). Instead the items awaken through various processes – spontaneously, or through powerful magic.
Inspired by Legend of Five Rings.
Wondrous Item (blindfold), legendary (nemuranai, requires attunement by a ninja)
Omen: Whenever one of the blindfolds features are triggered or used (except blindsight) your eyes glow fiery red and emit red smoke like energy. Your eyes can be seen through the blindfold unsettling foes.
This black blindfold is made from spidersilk and can be donned as an action. While worn by a ninja, it grants its wearer the following benefits depending on the attuned characters proficiency bonus:
- Shinobi Sight I. You gain blindsight out to 10 feet.
- Devious Eavesdropper. Once per day on command, you can use detect thoughts as the spell. The save DC is 13, or 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier, whichever is higher.
- Spider’s Silence. When you kill a creature, the creature’s space is filled with a magical silence for 1 minute that no sound can pierce through.
- Dark Moon Rising. You may cast darkness a number of times per day equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded down).
- Shinobi Sight II. You gain blindsight out to 30 feet.
- Step Within the Shadows. Whenever you roll a Dexterity (Stealth) check lower than 15, you can replace the number with 15.
- The Shadowed Blade I. When wielding a ninja weapon (like a ninja-to), the weapon is considered magical and to have a +1 bonus to hit and damage.
- Ultimate Ki. You may use HD as ki points. If you are forced to spend HD but have non remaining you take damage equal to the HD spent + your Constitution score.
- Shadow Upon The Moon. While wielding a ninja weapon, whenever you roll a natural 20 on your attack roll, the blindfold casts greater invisibility on you as a free action. The blindfold maintains concentration on the spell, so that you don’t have to. This effect ends if the blindfold is somehow removed from the wearer.
- The Shadowed Blade II. When wielding a ninja weapon (like a ninja-to, shuriken etc), the weapon is considered magical and to have a +2 bonus to hit and damage.
- The Way of The Spider. Webs and other entanglements hold no more fear for a wearer of the blindfold. You constantly benefit from the effects of freedom of movement while you wear and are attuned to the blindfold.
- Awakened Kami. Daigotsu’s blindfold is now fully sentient and either takes the name you give it or takes the name Ariados. It has your alignment. Roll on the Sentient Magic Items table to determine its ability scores, communication ability and senses.
- Shinobi Sight III. You gain blindsight out to 60 feet.
- The Shadowed Blade III. When wielding a ninja weapon (like a ninja-to), the weapon is considered magical and to have a +3 bonus to hit and damage.
Tuskumogami were man made items of exceptional quality that had had their kami awakened, either through the skill used in creating them or through their association with great deeds. These items can usually only be attuned or used by a single person. They grow in power as the hero who owns it also grows in fame, honour and power.