This adventure, Five Deadly Shadows, is from Dungeon #195. A 4e adventure which I converted to 5e. I used this to show the players two things – the larger spiritual battle happening between Amaterasu and Tsuki-Yomi vs the oni god Fumeiyoshi. As well as the cultural difference between East and West in particular for a Japanese-analogue culture.
Apart from emphasising these powers through the adventure and making it explicit that the Five Deadly Shadows worshiped Fumeiyoshi I played the adventure as written.
The final Deadly Shadow and the final boss of the adventure.
Medium humanoid (human), lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (shadowy shozuku)
Hit Points 220 (?)
Speed 40 ft.
|11 (+0)||20 (+5)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||11 (+0)||10 (+0)|
Saving Throws DEX +9, INT +5
Damage Resistances Poison
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Thieves’ cant
Challenge 10 (??? XP)
Assassinate. During his first turn, Sujin has advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn. Any hit Sujin scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
Evasion. If Sujin is subjected to an effect that allows him to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, he instead takes no damage if he succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if he fails.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Sujin fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Sneak Attack. Once per turn, Sujin deals an extra 14 (4d6) damage when he hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally that isn’t incapacitated and the doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Tumbling Assault. Sujin does not provoke attacks of opportunity so long as he makes an attack during the turn he provoked the attack of opportunity.
Multiattack. Sujin makes two ninja-to attacks and one poisoned shuriken attack.
Ninja-To Slash. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 5) slashing damage, and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 24 (7d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that takes poison damage gains the following additional penalties which can be ended by repeating the Constitution saving throw at the end of its turn :
- The target has a -2 penalty on attack rolls.
- The target takes 1 poison damage ongoing and this effect is accumulative.
- The target’s Strength score is reduced by 1d4 each time it is hit by this attack. The target is paralyzed if its Strength is reduced to 0. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest.
- Poisoned Shuriken. Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage and the target must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 12 (4d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature that fails the saving throw by more than 5 is stunned until the end of it’s next turn.
- Shadow Evasion (1/Day, Recharges when first Bloodied). When an enemy hits Sujin with a melee or ranged attack he may use his reaction to move 20 feet and becomes insubstantial until the end of the triggering enemy’s next turn. While insubstantial Sujin has resistance to all damage.
- Deflect Missile. In response to being hit by a ranged weapon attack, Sujin deflects the missile. The damage he takes from the attack is reduced by 1d10 + 7. If the damage is reduced to 0, he catches the missile if it’s small enough to hold in one hand and he has a hand free. If it is a thrown weapon, he throws it back at the attacker.
- Redirect. When an attack misses Sujin he may use his scarf to redirect the attack to another creature within range. The target uses the same attack roll and if that roll hits the new target, he rolls damage normally. He may use this ability on any attack that uses an attack roll (spells, melee, range etc.).
Villain actions occur one per round in the order presented at the end of another creatures turn at the DM’s discretion.
- Smoke Bomb. Sujin becomes invisible until he attacks or until the end of his next turn.
- Fire Paper. Suijin teleports adjacent to each creature of his choice within 30 feet of his starting position and applies fire paper to the attacker. The fire paper detonates if the target moves for 14 (4d6) fire damage.
- Water Release. Suijin exhales cold water in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 17 Dexterity saving throw, taking 36 (8d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Sujin has 2 and only 2 legendary actions he can use per day. He may use these at the end of another creatures turn. He may choose from his list of available actions.
When Sujin is defeated he drops to his knees in a saishin form and lifts his head high slightly tilting his neck to indicate that he is ready to be beheaded as the final price of his actions.